No one can ever accuse the Marvel Hercules with being the sharpest razor in the candy apple. When not looking for fights he is usually preoccupied with seeking out booze and women. Often he is out in space or other dimensions for years at a time wreaking havoc of some kind or crashing parties, so he can be forgiven if his catch phrases are a bit out of date with contemporary culture.
In Civil War #7 Hercules was offended by the machinations of the Pro-Registration faction in the cloning/cyborgizing/Imagineering of his good buddy and gacked the Thorbot. While doing so he bellowed a variation of the famous verbal smack down "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" said by Senator Bentsen to Senator Quayle during a 1988 political debate.
Since Civil War was very topical, reflecting either the on-going debate over the current conflict in the mid-east or the price of cable television service, I think Herc could use a catch phrase that is a little bit closer to the year 2007. I don't think anything is wrong with his usual "Have At Thee!" or "I Bring The Gift Of Battle" shouts and I don't get why it wasn't used in the big fight scene. A good explodo-font "I SAY THEE NAY!" would have rocked that panel. Possibly the writer has had this story and dialog in his head since the late 1980s and didn't get to use the Bentsen slam until now.
So I decided to update Herc's war cry with a bit of pop-cultural meme from 2001 and up to something closer to present day.
- ChaosMonkey's Abysmal Pit has one for Kevin, but he sent it to me too.
- Sapient Sutler keeps Herc firmly in the 80s.
- BeacoupKevin gives us Hercules reinforcing the 1st Commandment.
- Caleb at Everyday is like Wednesday has some comments from the 90s.
- Yaaargh, Wendi Go done sent along this. Arrrgh.
- Some from the big and little screen by Fish-Flavored Baseball Bat.
- ABS gives Thorbot some travel advice.
- Someone anonymous is keeping it real.
- The Mutt gets grammatically and anatomically correct.
- Ryan of Terror Tales blog hates corn fructose.